Thursday, August 24, 2006

2006 5ks


My first 5k of the 2006 year was in February at the Suncoast Classic in St. Petersburg, FL. I really enjoyed this race a lot. It was really a test of my fitness and current running abilities since having my son a couple years ago. Even though I never stopped running, I was not racing or training in that manner since I had become pregnant. My PR prior to my son was a 19:50. I'm not sure I'll ever get under 20 again.
I ended the race in 22:57 and 3rd in my age group. I was happy with that.
On March 19 I ran the Bay to Bay 5k in St. Petersburg, FL. Ran a 22:40 and placed 2nd in age group. I was happy that I seemed to be improving. Maybe a sub 22 would be possible soon.
April 22, The Beach to Bayou 5k at Fred Howard Park in Tarpon Springs, FL. I absolutely love this location. The park has a beach that I like to call an aquarium that you can swim in. There are always fish swimming around and hermit crabs by the rocks. And I have been feet from groups of dolphins swimming by. Beautiful! The race, although flat, has you battle some head winds along the out and back course. I ended with a 23:35 and thought that was respectable, although not an improvement from the last one. Got 3rd on my new age group (35-39).
May is Hog Hustle 5k time, held in Dunedin, FL, where I live. It winds through neighborhoods and ends at the Knology Baseball Stadium where the Toronto Blue Jays spring train and the Dunedin Blue Jays play. Fun games with a small town feel. Anyway, I had planned on strictly running this one at an AT pace, which is somewhere around 8min/mile for me. I did a 2 mile warmup and ran the course again afterwards with a friend to make for a good workout.
Father's Day 5k was run in Palm Harbor at one of the parks. We ran the course as a family. My husband Porter, my 8 year old daughter Addie (who set the pace), and me pushing my 2 year old son Thomas in a running stroller. Addie did great and brought us home in 31:40. Not to shabby for an eight year old.

No comments: